Friday, December 11, 2015

To Begin Again

About a year ago, I decided that I was going to pick up writing my blog again.  I went out and purchased a brand new fancy computer, so that I could properly put fingers to keys, and once again pick up one of my most favorite activities...writing.  Here I am, a year later, finally doing what I promised myself I was going to do.
It certainly hasn't been a year of procrastinating, and I most definitely have had things to write about in the last two years since my last post, but somehow life just got in my way.  Or at least that's the excuse I have been telling myself, and anyone who has asked me if I was going to continue my blog.
So what propelled me to open my computer this evening and get to typing?  A week long intensive DBT training and my realization that it's been a couple years since I've given myself a "life worth living goal." I mean, my goal in life is to have a life worth living, but I realized this week that I needed something more specific.  Something that I could hold myself accountable to, and that would drive my passion. 
The one thing on this earth that I can tell you with absolute certainty is that I am passionate about the power of DBT.  It is what changed my life and helped me discover how to be the person I ultimately wanted to be.  What I didn't know up until this week, is that I had only been exposed to the surface of DBT.  I only knew it from the perspective of being a client who learned the skills, adapted them to my every day life, and it saved me.  The blessing of this perspective, is that I was able to harness all it's wonderful powers and transform it into my story of recovery.  And then my story of recovery literally became my career.  I got hired for the state mental health system to use my lived experience with mental illness and recovery to support and assist others on their path to recovery.  My greatest joy in my work, is that I recently began co-facilitating DBT skills group.
This week, I got to learn the depths of DBT...and my mind was BLOWN.  It's as if I have spent the last several years only seeing a beautiful iceberg from above. Then, all of a sudden, I was given the opportunity to look underneath the water to see that there is so much more than I could have possibly imagined. It made me realize that my life worth living goals are not complete, and neither is this blog.  All the posts I have written before were just the surface.  Now it's time to dive below and admire the vast landscape I wasn't able to see before.  So I've decided to begin again. 



No comments:

Post a Comment